Starship Troopers & right infantilism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 23 10:23:13 PST 2002

I agree that Haldeman's is an "obnoxious novel." I can't understand why serious people praise it: it was pressed into my hands by an intelligent friend (a NY Times reporter, as it happens) who insisted it was marvelous. It's not. Wooden writing, cardboard characters, enough plot-points for a soap-opera Seurat, a conception of future history that would be fine with Francis Fukuyama -- and much too much stock in a deus ex machina... (The puerile and obsessive sex scenes should be submitted for the Literary Review's Bad Sex Award -- if the judges would agree to consider them to be written in English.)

Heinlein could write, perhaps better than any of the sci-fi authors, and Nathan's right to say that "he played with social ideas, as opposed to technology for its own sake, more than any of the other 'golden age' sci-fi writers." From his earliest books (including his juveniles, like Between Planets), he was something of a Libertarian avant la lettre, more a Taft Republican in fact. Even the semi-fascism of Starship Troopers is more thoughtful and more entertaining than the semi-liberalism of Forever Peace. (Of course as political fantasies, neither can hold a candle to The Dispossessed.)

Asimov's "idea-mongering" made him a low-level version of Gertrude Stein's village explainer ("excellent if you were a village, but if you were not, not"). But he led me to Marx, who wasn't part of my secondary-school curriculum: he said that he'd based the Foundation series, which I'd liked, on Toynbee -- so I went to Toynbee (in the Somervell abridgement) and found that there was only one other meta-historical account...

--CGE