Sinn Féin on Universal Healthcare

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 13:48:10 PST 2002

Sinn Féin launch health care strategy document

Speaking at the launch in Dublin of Sinn Féin’s Health Strategy, Sinn Féin Sligo/Leitrim general election candidate Cllr Sean MacManus said that the central plank of this strategy is the ending of the current two–tier system that discriminates against the less well off in our society and the replacement of that system with a free health care system for all.

Cllr MacManus, who launched the document along with Sinn Féin TD for Cavan/Monaghan Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin, said: “Recent days and weeks have seen growing speculation about the outcome of the general election and the possible coalition partners who may emerge.

“We have seen detailed coverage of the mating game between the three larger parties. We have not been hearing what the vast majority of people want to hear and that is how all parties will address the major problems in our society.

“Foremost among these is the state of our Health System. We in Sinn Féin want a real debate about real issues. The Irish people demand that their elected representatives act together to address their needs.

“The forthcoming election campaign, as far as we are concerned, will be about issues, and we will be putting

our policies before the people and seeking their endorsement.

“Sinn Féin’s central demand on Health is for a health care system which is free at the point of delivery for all. This would include free GP care, free hospital care, free medication. This should be funded from general taxation. No more important use can be made of government revenue.

“In this Discussion Paper we expand upon that basic demand which is the key and essential change needed to transform the health service.

“The inequalities which blight our health system persist because successive governments have maintained the two-tier public/private structure of the system.

“It is a scandal that in our health system we have first-class and second-class patients. Private health care is subsidised by the State while those on public waiting

lists get second-class treatment.

“In our hospitals consultants are being paid from the public purse for treating public patients while at the same time they profit from the thriving private health business. Their skills can be bought, and public waiting lists by-passed, at the right price.

“No system built on that basis can be either fair or efficient. Successive governments have failed to grasp that nettle. The current Government’s Health Strategy, despite the positive elements in it, continues that failure.

“If transforming the health system and creating equality means taking on the vested

interests of the most powerful minority in the health services – the consultants who benefit from both private and public systems – then it must be done.

“Sinn Féin’s ten-point plan of action for Health is:

• The creation of a new all-Ireland health system, free at the point of delivery and funded by general taxation;

• An increase in health care funding to the EU average of 8% of GDP, plus additional funding to help redress years of underfunding and cutbacks;

• The harnessing of all the health resources, facilities and skills on the island into a dynamic, island wide healthcare system;

• The setting up of a single

waiting list;

• Increase the number of health workers, with special location allowances;

• End the public subsidising of private hospitals;

• A properly funded anti-poverty strategy to eradicate poverty and deprivation in Ireland to be carried out within a specified time-frame;

• The prioritisation of health promotion and the inclusion of health-proofing of all public policies;

• Long-term planning and

funding for hospital services;

• The involvement of local communities in developing health policy and strategy.

“Sinn Féin will campaign during the forthcoming general election and beyond for the implementation of these health policies.

“We are committed to equality and efficiency in our health service because we are committed to an Ireland of equals. We are committed to the provision of free health care for all,” Cllr MacManus concluded.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com