Starship Troopers & right infantilism

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Jan 23 20:54:51 PST 2002

delany is also almost certainly the only gay black man writing science fiction--i would even hazard that he is the only gay black man ever to publish sf, but these days that's a different claim to try to make than it would have been ten or fifteen years ago.

i would add that there are more and more women, gay and straight, writing science fiction than there have ever been. explorations of sex and sexuality by those authors is not surprisingly less targeted at adolescent males and somewhat more thoughtful, if also occasionally quite steamy. here i'm thinking first and foremost of octavia butler and melissa scott, but there are others.

the truth is, of course, that there is a lot of thoughtful, well-written science fiction (by men and women, gay and straight, a variety of ethnicities) mixed in with a lot of garbage. sounds like mainstream fiction, to me, except i think that it worth noting that sf has come a long way since heinlein and campbell.

without trying to make this list an sf discussion list any more than it's a religious studies list, i am curious, since we're on the topic, what any listmembers who've read him think of bruce sterling . . . the novel "distraction", in particular.