Pre-modernism

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Jan 24 05:54:06 PST 2002

At 09:31 PM 1/24/02 +0800, Eric Franz Leher wrote:
> Technology
>is _supposed_ to bring freedom from labour (didn't Marx say this?) Of
>course under capitalist social relations it can't do that.

not really. marx thought that what distinguished us _as_ humans was that we labored, collectively and cooperatively, in order to live. the essence of what it means to be human is work: "What [individuals]...are coincides with their production, both with _what_ they produce and with _how_ they produce. The nature of individuals thus depends on the material conditions determining their production." (The German Ideology)

kelley