Hello Kitty

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Jan 24 06:05:49 PST 2002

At 09:24 PM 1/23/02 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Someone made disparaging reference to the SF Bay Guardian's piece on Hello
>Kitty. It may be a bit more serious than it seemed. The author, Annalee
>Newitz, writes of it:
>
>At 11:17 PM +0000 1/23/02, brainsploitation wrote:
>>My latest screed on pop culture is the cover story in the San
>>Francisco Bay Guardian this week . . . it's about how the
>>overwhelming cuteness of American culture (think Hello Kitty and
>>Harry Potter) is infecting our political rhetoric and turning US
>>citizens into credulous children.
>>
>>http://www.sfbg.com/36/17/news_cute.html
>
>Of course Hello Kitty is Japanese, and Harry Potter is British, but
>Americans are omnivorous. Off to read the story...
>
>Doug

she worked the narrative of the apotheosis of cuteness a little too hard. i wasn't convinced that there's been a trend toward cute. also, i would have liked a discussion of what cute is in the first place.

otherwise, great annalee! i used to read techsploitation weekly. haven't had time. thanks for passing the cover story along -- and congratulations annalee! if you're reading: i miss ya!

kelley, ah hell i'll drop her a note.