Criminal complaint

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jan 24 07:32:54 PST 2002

Criminal complaint Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com>

There is no such legal status as beyond the reach of U.S. law and outside the application of the Geneva Accords. Bush especially may (sic) not go beyond the reach of U.S. ... Charles Brown

So, does this mean that Bush and Rumsfeld are engaged in extra legal activities in directing that the foreign national captives in Guantanamo are `unlawful combatants' and that therefore the Geneva Conventions do not apply to them?

^^^^^^^

CB: I think so. I think they are either prisoners of war, subject to the Geneva Conventions, and/ or criminally charged and therefore due some process under the U.S. Constitution. However, the U.S. Supreme Court has an extra-legal mode too, or has little extra-legal theoretical "partnerships" on the side a la Enron, so...

^^^^^^

And if they ignore the Geneva Conventions, then can they be charged with war crimes? So if they are indicted as war criminals, is that an impeachable offense, since war crimes sounds a lot like a high crime, if not a misdemeanor.

^^^^^^^

CB: Yes. The U.S. is a signatory to the Geneva Conventions, and U.S. Conventions, so _theoretically_ these treaties are "the supreme law of the land" in the U.S. , and Bush's violating them is a high crime or misdemeanor.

Not that Congress, the public or the Supreme Court seems to care. Just asking?

Chuck Grimes