premodernism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:28:38 PST 2002

>From: joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com>
>
>Americans seriously underestimate the amount of brainwashing they have been
>subjected to and it's quite deep effect. For example, they think they are
>better off compared to people who have fewer material goods....
>
>When I was a kid in Romania my life was divided between my grandparents'
>house and my parents house. My grandparents had cold running water outside,
>a hole in the ground for a toilet, and a wood burning stove. My parents had
>a luxurious apartment with bath and kitchen...though we ate out at the
>luxury restaurant reserved for the intelligentsia every day, twice a day. I
>considered my grandparents house to be paradise on earth; and my parents
>house, a living hell. Why? Because until we get conditioned otherwise, the
>only thing we are sensitive to is love. It sound sappy; it isn't.

No, not sappy at all. I watched a TV bio of domestic arts diva Martha Stewart on E! last night (I've sunk that low), and all interviewees agreed on what nasty, cold, grasping, joyless individual she is -- a woman who destroyed her marriage and estranged her child by being such a greedy, ambitious, uncaring control freak. Rather than being the apotheosis of domestic contentment, her life presents a grotesque parody of it. MS, who came from nothing, is now worth $1 billion and owns eight houses; whatever she acquires is never enough, noted her brother, a seemingly level-headed guy who was interviewed on the show.

Carl