Picket Duties & the Problem of Free Riding (was Re: Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat...)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 25 03:10:27 PST 2002

>Yoshie Furuhashi:
>> I'm no supporter of what is called "participatory economy" as
>> explained by Albert & Hahnel, but the more people "opt out" of
>> politics in general, the less democratic a society becomes. Before
>> we may create a society beyond alienated labor (be it in a Marxist or
>> subjective sense of "alienation"), we have to overcome the political
>> free rider problem. By political free riders I mean those who want
>> to enjoy fruits of political participation (e.g., union organizing,
>> feminist organizing, environmentalist organizing, anti-war
>> organizing, etc.) without spending time, energy, etc. on political
>> work to produce such fruits.
>
>I would be perfectly happy to have lots of free riders as
>long as the desired journey took place.
>
>-- Gordon

I'm no majoritarian, but it is clear that we'll need a substantial mass movement far larger than anything we have seen for the last several decades to institute even a serious reform, not to mention anything better (like abolition of private ownership of means of production). Let's take oppositions to the war, for example. Polls have indicated that about 10% of Americans oppose the war on Afghanistan and other nations. That's a minority, but being part of such a sizable minority in itself is not discouraging, _if_ all Americans who oppose the war come out and get actively involved in organizing. What's the current U.S. population estimate? 284.8 million? 10% of the total population would be about 28.5 million. If all or even most of the 28.5 million dissenters got active, that would be a mass movement worth reckoning! The reality, however, is that most of the dissenters are not organizers, though some of them may go to a protest, a teach-in, and the like once in a while; and the majority of the dissenters are probably doing nothing in public, stuck in small towns, not knowing who else nearby shares their opinion. We need more organizers* (and more activists*) to make dissent visible & tangible.

* By "activists" I mean those who simply attend a protest, a teach-in, etc. without taking part in organizing such activities themselves. Not all activists have the time, energy, & other resources required to become organizers, even if they all had an inclination to organize. -- Yoshie