Witness in Sharon massacre trial killed by car bomb

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Jan 25 04:52:29 PST 2002

A lot of people wanted him dead but only Phalangists and Israelis could get near him, is what Fisk says. This is what Hobeika was probably going to testify about (he said he had only followed orders): ------------------------------------------------------ Vanished victims of Israelis return to accuse Sharon

http://www.observer.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4306979,00.html

The men who 'disappeared' in the aftermath of the 1982 massacres in Lebanon's Sabra and Chatila refugee camps could get revenge against Tel Aviv's defiant strongman.

Julie Flint in Beirut Sunday November 25, 2001 The Observer (...) The militiamen withdrawing from the Palestinian camps in Beirut had marched her, together with several hundred other unarmed civilians, to the edge of the Shatila camp. There they levelled their guns. On that desolate corner, in the fourth month of Israel's invasion of Lebanon, Sana believes that Israeli soldiers saved her life. It was 36 hours since the Israeli commanders who sent the Lebanese Forces militia into the camps had received the first reports of atrocities.

But now, as the reports began to circulate more widely, Israeli soldiers shouted to their allies: 'Give us the people and leave the camps!' The Lebanese obeyed and handed their prisoners to the Israelis, who then marched them along the main road towards Beirut's sports stadium. Sana looked over her shoulder as she went into the stadium and saw her husband, Hassan Hashim, and her sister's husband, Farraj Ali Sayyed, behind her.

Inside the stadium, a sprawling complex fully controlled by the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF), women were led in one direction and men in another. Sana, her sister, mother and their eight children were released an hour later. Hassan and Farraj vanished.

The people who disappeared - during and after the massacre - are the forgotten victims of Sabra and Chatila. Almost every family in the camps has a relative or friend among the disappeared.

What is crucial is that they disappeared while in the hands of the Israeli army, during an operation under the direct control of Israel's then Defence Minister Ariel Sharon, now Prime Minister. (...)