pre-modernism

Erik Empson erikempson at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 25 08:58:50 PST 2002

> not really. marx thought that what distinguished us _as_ humans was that
we
> labored, collectively and cooperatively, in order to live. the essence of
> what it means to be human is work: "What [individuals]...are coincides
with
> their production, both with _what_ they produce and with _how_ they
> produce. The nature of individuals thus depends on the material conditions
> determining their production." (The German Ideology)

Did he? Don't ants and bees etc labour collectively and cooperatively? The difference is humans intervene and adapt 'the material conditions determining their production'. For Marx communism meant expanding the horizons of humanity beyond a particular form of social power that tries to reduce our lives to 'work'.

EE