Enron data retrieval

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 10:19:55 PST 2002

> Many software tools offer "government wipe" ability
(or an approximation
> thereof), including the Norton Utilities WipeFile
plus the freeware tools
> Eraser and File Wipe For DOS). You can find many
others by searching your
> favorite download site.
>
> In most cases, running a thorough government wipe on
a hard drive is about
> all you'll need before sending it in for repair,
selling it, discarding it,
> or passing it on to someone else.

There are companies that will recover data from this level. They're not terribly expensive (expensive at a personal level, but not for this kind of investigation), and I imagine the FBI has equivalent technology expertise. I'm pretty doubtful that Anderson's ran a "government wipe" though - they were in panic mode.

Of course if one doesn't know which computers were wiped, everything becomes a little more difficult.