Witness in Sharon massacre trial killed by car bomb

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Jan 26 03:26:40 PST 2002

You know scepticism is a good thing but this is denial, something that's endemic on this list. The senator very clearly said on BBC that he found the timing of the assassination very meaningful. Hobeika's testimony would have probably supported that of the survivors of the Israeli roundup at the stadium. He would supply the facts about what happened after the Israelis took people out of the stadium and disappeared them. Perhaps that's not enough to implicate Sahron personally, but if Hobeika thought he could prove he was just "following orders", who could concievably be giving those orders besides the Israelis? The Druze? The Hezbollah? The Syrians?

This assassination isn't just about Sharon, it's about Israel's occupation of Lebanon. So nobody has as strong a motive a Israel to eliminate Hobeika, nobody would risk the Phalangist backlash and civil war just for account-settling, and nobody else could pull off something like this in Phalangist west Beirut.

So please get real and stop sticking your head in the sand.

Hakki