Suicide? Get real (RE: first suicide of major Enron figure)

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sat Jan 26 09:20:45 PST 2002

Hakki Alacakaptan - a most welcome (relatively) new lboster - wrote:

> || From:Of John Mage (...) || Probably knew || everything about

> everyone - but someone had something pretty serious on || him to

> keep him from talking - no? || || john mage ||

> So why does you subject line say suicide? If you don't want to

> speculate (something which I can't afford not to do) you call it a

> shooting, like The Guardian did: <snip>

> Man those Houston forensics experts are fast. They find the body at

> 2.30 and file a report the same day. Of course we can trust the

> totally corrupt state of Texas to fully investigate this, right?

> Looks like hunting seasons for witnesses, with Sharon and Lay

> bagging the first ones.

> Hakki

No disagreement here. I should have put scare quotes in the subject line.

There are only a handful of people able to put Lay or Skilling or Army Secretary White in jail by their uncorroborated testimony, and Cliff Baxter had clearly been one of them. Even Jim Yardley's NYTimes piece this morning had this bit:

> " The former business associate who spoke by telephone with Mr.

> Baxter two days ago said he had congratulated him "for being named

> among those people who complained about Enron, and all he said was

> `Thanks.' Everyone in the executive suite at Enron knew of his

> complaints."

> This business associate added that Mr. Baxter "was talking about

> perhaps needing a bodyguard, though I'm not sure where that idea

> came from. He said: `I'm a businessman. Why do I need a bodyguard?'

> Police officials in Sugar Land have ruled out foul play in Mr. Baxter's
> death, but a justice of the peace has ordered an autopsy as a precaution.

john mage