Going Nazi

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Jan 26 11:01:09 PST 2002

Hi,

This is simply the definition of a single-party authoritarian dictatorship, it dismisses 50 years of social science research into what is different with fascism. How is your definition different from Stalinism? Was Stalinism a form of fascism? I think not.

All christian righwing fundamentalists are fascists?!?

So there is no difference between a pragmatic election-oriented Ralph Reed, an authoritarian like John Ashcroft, social totalitarians such as the Christian Reconstructionists, and the neonazis as found in Christian Identity?

The wave of authoritarianism and government repression we are experiencing needs to be challenged, but this overly-simplistic level of analysis is not helpful. The US is not going NAZI. There are echoes of fascism in all forms of authoritarian government repression, but the level of state action under fascism to repress dissent is a different order of magnitude from what we are experiencing.

-Chip Berlet

Then give me an arguement and put out an alternative analysis.

What are `we' experiencing? And how would you distinguish between nazis and fascists?

I believe I wrote we had the potential and that the elements existed and that it was a bad situation.

Chuck Grimes

(BTW, I at work so until later today, the exchanges will be brief)