Witness in Sharon massacre trial killed by car bomb

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Jan 26 11:25:31 PST 2002

>This assassination isn't just about Sharon, it's about Israel's
occupation
>of Lebanon. So nobody has as strong a motive a Israel to
eliminate Hobeika,
>nobody would risk the Phalangist backlash and civil war just for
>account-settling, and nobody else could pull off something like
this in
>Phalangist west Beirut.
>
>So please get real and stop sticking your head in the sand.
>
>Hakki

Oh give us a break, Hakki. Hobeika had switched sides, yet again, and was backed by the Syrians. Some want the Syrians out of Lebanon. However, the professionalism of the hit does point to Israel.

Pollack:
>I'd really like to believe the Israelis did this. It would mean
they were
>really terrified of the Belgian proceedings. I see no reason
why they
>should be, because frankly I don't think are going to present a
real
>threat to them. But if they thought so and were right and I was
wrong,
>that would be great thing.

For me it's a hopeful sign. I think Sharon is more of a realist - probably just hedging his bets - than some cynics on the left (and on this list) who pooh-pooh universal jurisdiction as just another ruling-class ruse, one which will later be used against a leader of Cuba or North Korea or Venezuela. Pinochet was a turning point. If there's globalization of the means of production, why not globalization of bourgeios law? What a gift for the Palestinians that would be, to see Sharon in the same position as Milosevic.

Peter