Noam in Turkey

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sun Jan 27 04:03:36 PST 2002

|| From: Chris Doss

|| I love Noam, but reading him on Chechnya just makes me grit my teeth. He

|| obviously knows nothing about it. He should stick to the areas he knows,

|| Latin America and the Middle East.

Same goes for Ocalan's guerillas, both in the 79's and since 1983. Sweden was big on the PKK - rumors that they murdered Palme notwithstanding - but the tide of opinion is turning. A recent murder in Uppsala caused an uproar. Fadime Sahindal was 6 when her Kurdish parents came to Sweden as refugees. When she was 22, she started seeing a Swedish boy. Her father was against it and threatened her. Fadime took the unprecedented step of complaining to the police. She instantly became a media star and spoke in parliament about the difficulties of integration and the problems of second-generation immigrants. Her boyfriend then died in an auto accident. Can't say anything about the circumstances bec it's all in Swedish. Fadime ran away from home and enrolled at a university. This year, she was due to go to Kenya for her thesis project. She wanted to see her mother and sister before going, and chose an hour when dad woudn't be home. Dad got tipped off, rushed home, and shot his "dishonored" daughter dead. He told the cops "She became a whore, I cleansed my honor" - in Kurdish, because he still couldn't speak Swedish after 20 years.

Did Ocalan, surrounded by a personal harem of female bodyguards, ever do anything for Kurdish women, who can be murdered by their husbands, fathers, or brothers for a variety of "honor" crimes, ranging from adultery to mere hotheadedness? Were the PKK cadres who sexually molested female suicide bombers (most of them were female) because "they were going to die anyway, so they could give up their honor", ever disciplined? Neither Ocalan nor any Turkish marxist leader has ever acknowledged women's daily subjection to violence in their societies. Yet, Western liberals root for the PKK while they call the Taliban names.

Hakki