Going Nazi

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jan 27 06:54:58 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Chip Berlet wrote:

> On the other hand, the scapegoating central to fascism's campaign for a
> rebirth of society was distributed around to include French intrigue,
> communism and anarchism, and a very racist campaign in Ethiopia which
> tends to get swept under the rug of White history.

Yeah, but to be fair, every European country did terrible racist things in African colonies, from beacon-of-liberalism England to tiny oppressed Belgium. So it doesn't really make the fascists stand out.

The Italians did crow about what they did to the natives more, but I think that might have been in part a testament to how bad they were at it compared to their more liberal neighbors. The Ethiopians kicked their asses in 1896 at Adva, one of the rare great victories of Africans against would-be colonizers, and a deep embarassment to the Italians -- one they were still trying to expunge 40 years later.

Michael