Cooper on KPFK

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sun Jan 27 08:40:19 PST 2002

doug, does your forwarding this message imply that you support marc cooper's views and version of the story? i do not know anything about kpfk but if what happened there is similar to what happened at wbai, then there seem to be several flaws in his reasoning. to give just one example, he suggests that half the blame for the drain of funds can be placed on the dissidents because they caused the board to hire expensive lawyers, etc and they are now concentrating more on removing the old pack than fund-raising. however, raising funds from listeners like me and the few other wbai listeners i have spoken to, involves reinstating the old ("dissident") crowd. the qualitative improvements (by my subjective opinion) in the programming, in the last week or two since the reversal of the december coup, have been impressive. my prediction is that this will bring significant increase/return of contributions from listeners (i know i will throw in $100 more to keep amy goodman on the air). i am not informed enough about the politics of pacifica and wbai. is louis proyect on this list? he had strong (and seemingly valid) criticism against what seems to be cooper's views.

--ravi