Cooper on KPFK

rhisiart at earthlink.net rhisiart at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 19:04:57 PST 2002

At 01:28 PM 1/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>>I heard from a friend that the outgoing board paid massive severance
>>payments to outgoing top staff -- amounting to hundreds of thousands (by one
>>count well over a million dollars). It seems like really sick
>>self-dealing-- a scale of Enron-like corporate malfeasance that makes the
>>outgoing board's previous actions look restrained.
>>
>>What's your information on the further bankruptcing of Pacifica by the old
>>board in their final hours?
>
>Don't know anything about it. If true, it sucks bigtime. They were a
>dreadful gang.
>
>Doug

it's true. i was at the recent KPFK LAB (local advisory board meeting) in los angeles, where the foundation's financial problems were discussed, among other issues. the main purpose of this meeting was to dispel any confusion listeners had about the lawsuits, the former board's actions, and the corruption at KPFK. then to get listener feedback about problems at KPFK.

station managers, et al, were given 100,000 dollar severance pay bonuses, which is apparently way out of line for similar jobs in the private sector. i suspect retiring board members got plenty of money too, at the cost of the listeners. the old board, and it's toadies, station managers, etc., have a lot to hide.

a listener in Berkeley has donated 20 thousand dollars to finance an audit of the books, to see what the old board did to squander a 10 million dollar reserve, turning it into a three million dollar deficit.