Fight Club: Psychosis

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Jan 27 23:23:22 PST 2002

At 26/01/02 17:22 -0500, you wrote:
>Just watched the DVD "Special Edition" of the brilliant film "Fight Club,"
>and wondered, what with all the anti-capitalist/consumerist,
>pseudo-nihilist dialogue and imagery, capped with the final shot of
>several large commercial buildings being blown up (to erase credit card
>debt everywhere) and the base of operations called Ground Zero, why no one
>has pointed to this as irresponsible or worse? I mean, doesn't Andrew
>Sullivan watch movies?
>
>DP

There were arguably psychotic processes in both theatrical events. From a notice about a series of psychodynamic seminars in England last year....

>"Showing of the 1999 feature film "Fight Club" starring Brad Pitt and
>Edward Norton, directed by David Fincher (133 minutes). This will be
>followed by discussion of the way Jack (Edward Norton) gradually realises
>that Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) is a psychotic personality cohabiting in his
>body."
>
>The theme of the five seminars .... is "understanding psychosis using the
>concept of internal cohabitation".
>
>They are suitable for "mental health professionals who are undertaking or
>have completed a training in psychoanalytic
>psychotherapy."

However I do not think Bush (or bin Laden) is quite ready for this degree of insight. They are obviously very important to one another, almost political siamese twins. The one body they cohabit is unfortunately this planet.

Chris Burford

London