Pipelineistan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 28 08:51:31 PST 2002

Chris Doss wrote:

>Hmmm. How's the US gonna control Russian oil (second-largest supplier after
>SA)? Put baes in Vladikavkaz?

What kind of "control" are we talking about, anyway? I think Cyrus Bina is right - that oil has been thoroughly commodified, with prices set by spot and futures markets, and all the old mechanisms of control (the Texas RR Commish, OPEC) withered or withering. And as for the physical flow - what does that mean? If the U.S. wanted to deny some country oil imports, it could blockade its ports or bomb the pipelines.

Doug