slogans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 28 12:43:11 PST 2002

Someone on the Reclaim The Streets-NYC list proposed this morning that "capitalism, no thanks/we will burn your fucking banks" - a chant from Seattle I loved, and put on the front page of the LBO website when I was posting from there - be a slogan for this week's demos in New York. When I suggested that the broader public might find this monstrous, this militant responded:

>i might add, that most of the concern shown for the 'broader public'
>is really a western concern. the people of argentina, and others of
>the global south, who have taken to the streets in the thousands have
>no such compunction. but that is also because they don't enjoy the
>astonishing
>quality of life we do. i don't feel that pandering to a complacent public
>_works_, and i don't view my role on the street for propaganda purposes
>only. so we feel differently? that's fine. but what i hate is when
>people think there is only one road to one end. but that isn't true
>is it? and that's the problem. there are many roads and just as many
>'endings.' you want to take care of the public? cool. but i want to
>strike fear into the hearts of the ruling class.

Right. It would really strike fear in to the hearts of the ruling class for the protesters to cast themselves as indistinguishable from al Qaeda.

I hope there aren't many idiots like this coming to town....

Doug