Chop, Chop

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Jan 28 16:27:51 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Robert Redmond" <dredmond at efn.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 4:02 PM Subject: Re: Chop, Chop

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Ian Murray wrote:

> I worked in DC for 13 years and saw Capital at it's ugliest. The
> thought of K Street lawyers et al lying in pools of blood does
not
> appeal to me and would not solve our problems.

You need to play more 3D shooters. I was stating a metaphor, not recommending a course of action. The category of aesthetic violence is utterly different from real, social violence; if Benjamin was around, he'd say something like, there are no just wars, but there are just war films. The antinomy is that even the most horrifying vision of catastrophe is only this tiny flash of the reality of neoliberalism: the crime of demolishing two skyscrapers makes the world swoon, but the crime of demolishing Argentina merely raises a few eyebrows in the financial press.

Ok, but when lots of people cry "off with the President's head" often enough in the town square and then others do it, who's responsible for his/her murder?

Self-fulfilling beliefs --replete with the entanglements of how the metaphorical *becomes* the actionable-- and collective action are very strange; it seems we could be more careful with them.

Ian