slogans

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jan 29 11:08:30 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca>

>I've been pretty worried about having to do these protests in New York
>City, but the Enron scandal has greatly eased my worries. Even if the
>situation on the streets gets heated, I think that many people will
>understand that our actions mean no disrepect to the families of those
>who died on 9/11.

I agree that Enron has made the protests easier to sell publicly, although there is still the problem that walking down the street, it is the IAC mostly likely handing passerbys flyers with all the denunciations of the war without even a sentence discussing justice for those families. Also problematic is the linking of the WEF protests to flyers denouncing the war and calling for solidarity with the people of Iraq-- without any distinguishing of the people from Saddam since IAC doesn't see any difference.

But the local news seems to be decently balanced in giving the protest leaders a reasonable perspective on their actions.

The police have officially announced a zero tolerance rule-- move wrong and you get arrested. Someone told me that Reclaim the Streets decided to assemble on their own away from other groups with a Palestinian Solidarity group-- a friend organizing legal observing joked that they might as well have a sign saying "get arrested here."

-- Nathan Newman