US blocks aid increase to poor countries

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 29 13:26:17 PST 2002

Patrick,

Forgive my ignorance, I understand why debt should be cancelled for the HIPC countries, but why should the aid be cancelled? What is the realistic alternative for development in sub-Saharan Africa and other very impoverished countries if development aid is cancelled? Please list the "obvious reasons" for canceling aid and how this will promote development.

Best,

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Patrick Bond Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 12:59 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: US blocks aid increase to poor countries

There's quite a nice current of progressive African NGO advocacy work developing that says: "cancel the debt, cancel the aid." The 2001 "Reality of Aid" analysis carries this message from a Zambian, Opa Kapijipanga, who runs the African Debt and Development Network in Harare. Lots of obvious reasons...