U.S. blocks aid

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Jan 29 14:52:19 PST 2002

At 05:07 PM 01/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Forgive my ignorance, I understand why debt should be cancelled for the HIPC
>countries, but why should the aid be cancelled? What is the realistic
>alternative for development in sub-Saharan Africa and other very
>impoverished countries if development aid is cancelled? Please list the
>"obvious reasons" for canceling aid and how this will promote development.

I think the idea here is that if we stopped ripping them off, we would not need to give them aid. Compared to the capital flight from the third world, the aid is a joke.

At any rate, it might be more accurate to ask for reparations rather than aid.

I''m not against aid; I'm just guessing why someone would want to use that as a slogan.

Joanna B.