Fwd: [cultstud-l] CFP: Essays on Bjork.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 30 06:15:18 PST 2002

[I guess Madonna studies are pretty well played out.]

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:24:06 +1030 From: Greg Hainge <greg.hainge at adelaide.edu.au> To: "CULTSTUD-L: A listserv devoted to Cultural Studies" <cultstud-l at lists.acomp.usf.edu>

Apologies for cross postings. Please pass on to interested colleagues.

CALL FOR PAPERS

_A Pretty Rush Down My Spine: Essays on Björk_ Edited by Greg Hainge and Paul Attinello

Abstracts are invited for a new collection on Björk intended to bring an interdisciplinary, critical investigation to bear on all aspects of her music and career.

Potential topics include but are not limited to: - technology and virtuality; - timbre / noise / sample / glitch; - genre and cross-genre writing; - anti- and hyper-pop; - video, film and visual images; - grammatical and syntactic deterritorialization; - experimental / minoritarian use of language; - internet communication and distribution; - cyborg / nature dichotomy; - post-human; - 'machined' vocal qualities; - gender models and sensuality; - emotivity / affectivity / sensation; - representations of Iceland; - self-representations; - the Sugar Cubes and soloist orientation; - covers / reinterpretations; - collaborations and special appearances; - critical and fan reception; - marketing strategy and anti-industry moves; - negotiations with the press.

The editors represent the fields of cultural studies and musicology, but work from other fields is also welcome. A broad range of approaches, including critique, analysis, hermeneutics, and industry studies (or syntheses of any of these) are encouraged, as are collaborations, especially between writers working in different fields or methodologies.

Please send abstracts and proposals (maximum 500 words) as well as a brief CV by June 1, 2002; we envisage that final papers will be due mid-January 2003. All attachments should be sent as RTF files for compatibility.

All materials and inquiries should be directed to:

greg.hainge at adelaide.edu.au and pattinello at chariot.net.au

-- Dr Greg Hainge, Lecturer in French Centre for European Studies, University of Adelaide SA 5005. tel: (Int. + 61) (08) 8303 5659, fax: 8303 5241 http://www.geocities.com/ghainge/

****** _Culture Theory and Critique_ Editorial Board.

****** Australian Society for French Studies Publications Editor