Cooper on KPFK

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jan 30 06:31:24 PST 2002

rhisiart at earthlink.net wrote:
>as i've said before, doug, i believe you're letting your friendship
>with cooper cloud your judgement.

-Besides, since the real question is, as Jeff Greenfield might say, -where do we go from here?, I think the fact that Cooper does the kind -of radio that Pacifica should be doing more of counts for something, -doesn't it? Point kind of gets lost in all the assignment of black -hats and white.

Were Cooper's ratings significantly higher than other shows at the LA station?

I don't know what left radio should be in the ideal-- I've been a fan of rightwing talk radio at points, always liked the energy they generate, but I'm not sure it translates to the left. I think there may be something about the rant format of radio that reflects the rightwing temperment; they seem to find more comfort in that mode where lefties prefer a rally with other people. That may be just recent training on each side -- since the right has quite enjoyed rallies in the past and so on -- but lefties have never seemed to call into programs in the same numbers in recent years, so liberal talk radio shows have rarely had rating numbers that approached their conservative counterparts.

So what kind of packaging of left radio will make it entertaining enough to bring in a larger audience? I don't know, I wish I did.

-- Nathan Newman