slogans

Andrew Flood andrewflood at eircom.net
Wed Jan 30 09:06:08 PST 2002

>Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 05:59:41 -0500
>From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>Subject: Re: slogans

>The slogan you mention -- "Capitalism? No Thanks! We'll burn your
>fucking banks!" -- never resonated with me
>... I figure that the slogan sounded cute
>to some, because it was clear that those who were saying it _never
>really meant it_. It was just radical posturing.

I don't know where you have been over the last few years but post Seattle a lot of the demonstrations have been accompanied by bank burning/trashing. Off hand this happened in Nice Dec '99, Prague Sept 2000 (I saw 7 banks lose their windows in about 5 minutes there), Genoa July 2001 and as recently as Brussles Dec 2001.

Its a seperate issue from whether or not you think this is a meaningful action that can be understood by 'the public' but there is no dougbt that at least some of those chanting that slogan do 'really mean it'. At least this side of the ocean.

Andrew

International anarchism

http://struggle.ws/inter.html

Issues-> http://struggle.ws Me -> http://struggle.ws/andrew.html