slogans

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jan 30 10:14:15 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The slogan you mention -- "Capitalism? No Thanks! We'll burn your
> fucking banks!" -- never resonated with me (and I imagine I'm to the
> left of 99.99% of Americans as far as endorsement of civil
> disobedience for a left cause and the like are concerned), so I think
> it didn't resonate with most passersby in _Seattle_ and other
> locations in the USA either. I figure that the slogan sounded cute
> to some, because it was clear that those who were saying it _never
> really meant it_. It was just radical posturing. Perhaps, the
> movement needs slogans that participants actually intend to put into
> practice (and not just in the WEF protest in NYC).

It resonates with me and probably many people in the Global South.

When you've been unemployed for almost a year and the banks and credit crad companies harass you daily over the phone, one has lots of fantasies about burning banks.

The photos of destroyed ATMs in Argentina have been really heartwarming.

I'll tell you something, when you have little to lose, an entire range of possibilities open up.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).