Fwd: Betty Bowers' State of the Union

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jan 30 15:40:36 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "/ dave /" <arouet at winternet.com>

>...I had to concur completely. Last night I watched GW's speech, and
>when he got to that point where he announced a "a new ethic and a new
>creed" for America, I sat rapt wondering just what sort of grand
>pronouncement he might make, with gazillions of people watching, the
>country at "War," and his being the Great Leader of the Republic and all...
>And after a dramatic pause during which quiet settled over the assembled
>Congress and one could almost hear the faint digitial echo of the
>silence spreading out via satellite feeds to far-flung corners of the
>globe, hearing the President of the United States utter the words "Let's
>Roll!", I was almost beside myself with wonder and amazement.

Why is that so strange-- on a day when planes were smashed into towers and thousands died, even as the military might of the US was useless in stopping it, a few folks on one plane took on the killers and stopped them, even though they knew they would not live themselves. In a leadup talking about self-sacrifice, that was hardly strange to evoke the slogan of those on the Pennsylvania plane who stopped the terrorists.

It's no more bizarre than Neal Young turning it into a hit song in memorium to those who lost their lives that day.

Most of the speech was pretty weak in my view-- even rabid Bush lovers on freerepublic.com gave it only a B in many cases. He did a few strong phrases at the beginning, then became pretty tedious in laying out what passes for his agenda.

Of course, Gephart's response was one of the worst, most craven pieces of crap I have ever seen; I was almost ready to grab a Green Party registration after his pathetic "please don't beat us up Mr. President" speech. It makes you glad ol Teddy is still there to say the obvious-- repeal the upcoming tax cuts for the rich and hand it to the voting elderly.

-- Nathan Newman