U.S. blocks aid

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Jan 30 20:10:07 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

Ian Murray wrote:

> The internal WB heretic William Easterly comes at the same
problem
> from just a slightly different angle--the neoclassical take on
the
> cumulativeness of perverse incentives/corruption-- in "The
Elusive
> Quest for Prosperity".

Doesn't aid 1) merely flow into the pockets of local oligarchs and military thugs, etc. and 2) usually come with strings forcing the money to be mostly used to buy u.s. products? When has the U.S. ever given aid that didn't either prop up corrupt regimes or aid u.s. companies or both?

Carrol

================ Um, yes& yes. If I remember right JK Galbraith, while in India hangin' with N Kaldor, was the 1st to point out that Europe with the Marshall Plan was the 'exception' to the postWWII norm of aid-in profits-out 'cause lots of the potential oligarchs were dead or working for the CIA on bigger more important things...............I don't have the dates crystal clear on that 'cause my sources are tucked in boxes so if others have the time frame right feel free to jump....

Ian ........exhausted from participating in an ecological economics seminar deep in the basement of the Bank of America building in Seattle with troublemakers from India and Korea so Joanna can I reply later? :-)