jane jacobs

Kendall Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Wed Jan 30 22:00:43 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:36:31PM -0800, alex lantsberg muttered something about:
> i'm just finishing up reading jane jacobs' "cities and wealth of nations"
> and finding it quite interesting. am wondering whether folks on the list
> have read this (or any other of her stuff, particulary "the economy of
> cities") and what they think.

Her stuff is used by a writer brought up here recently, Samuel R. Delany, particularly in his Neveryon series and in his recent nonfiction book about the corporatization of NYC, *Times Square Red, Times Square Blue*, which is very interesting, and in which he makes pretty heavy use of some of Jacobs' ideas about cities.

My favorite current writer about American cities is Mike Davis.

Kendall Clark