Karzai, fashion plate

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 30 23:45:39 PST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> This just in...the editor of Glamour will be on CNN tomorrow morning
> with Jeanne Moos, 8:50 AM EST, talking about "the fashionable and
> chic new Afghanistan leader, Karzai and his fashion statement suits,
> robes, and hats."

Gucci has already talked with him about bringing out a line.

BTW, although there's no denying he does look good in his trademark hat and cloak, it is also a political statement. The cloak is distinctively Uzbek, and the karakul lambskin-fur hat is a classic upper-class merchant's hat in both in Afghanistan and Pakistan among all groups except the Pashtuns, which is Karzai's group. So both garments were carefully chosen to to signify his inclusiveness.

Also BTW, I'm not at all sure if it's true, but there are some animal rights people who really hate karakul hats and are convinced you can only make them by mistreating lambs something awful.

Michael