unlawful combatants

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:00:51 PST 2002

>This whole business of unlawful combatants and military tribunals is
>fascinating to me. It bares on the entire relation of the person to
>the law, the state, and international legal bodies. How much more
>oppressed, deprived, and degraded can you get, than to be held by your
>enemy, incommunicado, shackled, blindfolded, in open pens, awaiting
>probable torture and possible execution?

Agreed.

>>Come on. Your not going to let a bunch of lick spittle lackies of the
>capitalist pig hegemon and demi-fascist state, set the terms of this
>argument are you?

No.

>In case there are already internal movements afoot in the NLG, or any
>other legal association or movement, it would be nice to hear about
>them---hint, hint.

I have heard that there was a lawsuit filed, maybe by the ACLU. Nathan, who is an NLG VP, would know more than I. It is hard to file lawsuits unless you know who the prisoners are and they agree to let you represent them. That is also a problem with the detainees from Sept 11, can't file a habeas petition unless you know in whose name and they agree. You can seethe point in general--you wouldn;t want random lawyers using you asa plaintiff without knowing you or your consenting. At the same time, this creates problems with a lawless govt like our own that is willing to disappear people and hold them incommunicado.

jks

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx