Delongwinded or short of breath?

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 03:34:02 PDT 2002

Of course the ideological heavyweight for Japan policy in the Clinton administration was the dimwit but prolix Prestowitz (or the even more wordy vanWolferen), but Brad did write about Japan circa 2000 I believe. So let's take a look at this, shall we? It's amazing how quick this pop economics stuff dates, isn't it? Everyday the world is a different place, I'm a changed man, and economics is less useful than the 3-day weather forecasts.

http://www.worldlink.co.uk/stories/storyReader$243

>>DO YOUR HOMEWORK
Brad DeLong

Today, the conventional wisdom is that the American economy is by a wide margin the most successful of the industrial core. A business cycle expansion of unusual length, the lowest unemployment rate of any major industrial economy, no visible problems with inflation, relatively rapid productivity growth, high stock market values, and technological dominance of the most vibrant and rapidly growing sectors of the economy. <<

Or is that of the deindustrialized rotten core?

>>Once again the US is ? as Leon Trotsky wrote
more than 70 years ago ? "the furnace where the future is being forged". Politicians, bureaucrats, business executives and intellectuals are pondering how they can, at lowest cost, adopt and adapt the key economic institutions that have underpinned the American economyfs triumph over the past decade.<<

I suppose so were taxi drivers.

Worldcom, Enron, Andersen, GlobalCrossing, Tyco. One institution that I'm made to think of is bankruptcy court. The other is called 'jail'.

>>But little more than a decade ago things were
very different. About 15 years ago a joke was making the rounds about three executives ? American, European and Japanese ? facing execution by terrorists and their last requests. The last request of the Japanese executive was to give a lecture on Japanese management techniques. The punchline was the last request of the American executive: to be executed immediately so as not to have to listen to another lecture about Japanese management techniques.<<

See Baudrillard on 9-11 or something? Guess terrorism isn't so funny anymore. Actually, it was always the American business gurus lecturing about said techniques anyway. Not the Japanese.

>>At that time the "triumphalism" was Japanese
economic triumphalism. Observers (myself included) looked at Japanfs extraordinary rate of investment, the high rates of return on investment, the extraordinary competence of Japanfs export manufacturing sector and projected these trends forward. They, or we, saw the productivity of export manufacturing diffusing through the rest of the Japanese economy, and saw the country gaining the same productivity edge in processors design, software, networks and other highest-tech industries that it had earlier gained in industries like consumer electronics, metallurgy and automobiles.<<

Sorry Brad, but Japan was shut out of developing processors for desktops. They were even forced into strict quotas on quickly commoditized memory chips, which created artificial shortages and a gray market in the US. See the trade agreements inked back in the late 80s. And having been shut out of Europe long enough, Japanese auto manufacturing capacity is significantly owned by non-Japanese.

>>Social solidarity, long-term loyalty, patient
capital, a successful developmental state ? these seemed to be powerful virtues worth imitating.<<

Talk about stereotypes.

>> Today, however, the arms of the Japanese
developmental state ? the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) and the Ministry of Finance (MOF) ? are seen as having been unequal to their tasks and unable to grasp Japanfs situation in the 1990s.<<

For one thing, the two ministries never had any solidarity and, along with Post and Telecommunications, spent the better part of the past decade disagreeing about who should do what to whom for what reason. With politicians like Koizumi in his pre PM days conniving and blabbering away.

>> Long-term loyalty is now seen as lack of
entrepreneurship, patient capital as failure to respond to market signals. Social solidarity is viewed as blocking the economic reforms that would raise the productivity standards of Japanfs non-export manufacturing sectors.<<

I never saw the solidarity here, so I'm not sure what to conclude. I'm not sure you are sure of what you are referring to when you say 'non-export' manufacturing sectors, since a lot of companies Americans know nothing about prop up Japan, Inc. or just compete like mad in Japan (e.g. Suntory against Coca Cola, Kao and Lion against Proctor and Gamble).

Some of the leanest, meanest companies I know of in Japan (Kai Razor, Itoen Beverages, House Foods, etc.) compete mostly for the domestic market and never got to benefit from the high profits of an export quota for something to be sold in the US or Europe (like Sony or Toyota did). So I think that this is just anecdote repeated and repeated based on outright lies about the Japanese economy. Of course the outright lies go back to those concocted by the so-called Japan revisionists who at least got read in summary form in the Clinton admin. Basically the way it works is like this: if your bullshit gets printed in a book someone paid good money for, much of its content gets accepted as accurate and factual.

>>WATCH AND LEARN

The pendulum has swung remarkably far away from Japan over the past decade. But before this happened, both businesses and governments had learned much from the countryfs economic miracle. The lessons about quality control and productive efficiency taught by Japanese manufacturing firms were painful ones, but the Fords, the Siemenses and the Hewlett-Packards learned.<<

Uhh, sorry, Ford still sucks. And I'd never buy a HP pc. Too many much better ones to pick from here in Japan. Ford is so stupid it took them 8 years to admit Mazda builds better small car engines than Ford does. Duh.

>>And the pendulum will swing back, away from the
US economy. The most likely way that this will happen is through a decline ? either rapid and short or slow and prolonged ? in American stock market valuations and in the value of the dollar. Any claims that the historic highs wefve seen in American stock market values are sustainable rest on a belief that attitudes toward risk have changed, and that the marginal investor now expects a treasury bond-style rate of return from equities. But no one holding Cisco or Yahoo! today does so because they anticipate that they will receive a treasury-bond-style rate of return from their investment.<<

No, I guess they wanted to shoot the moon! Some would probably give up a gonad for a bond-like return.

>>Substantial portfolio losses on American
equities will make decision-makers all over the world allergic to praise of the American economy. An end to the net inflow of capital to the US and a consequent substantial fall in the value of the dollar would significantly reduce the international purchasing power of American investors and companies, and lower their relative weight in the world economy. Such a decline in the dollar value of American equities and in the international value of the dollar would not have to disturb greatly the fundamentals of US production and employment. The Federal Reserve could use its interest-rate tools to shift investment demand from sectors valuable in times of stock-market exuberance to sectors like construction, where investment is profitable when interest rates are low. And a decline in the value of the dollar would eventually generate an export boom. <<

Something sure looks like it's getting disturbed. I can't wait for the US to try and export more cars to Japan, though. More likely, Daimler-Chrysler is going to move even more Mitsubishi stuff to the US, as is Ford, putting Mazda engines in everything.

>>The lessons that the rest of the world
economyfs industrial core should learn from Americafs relative economic success in the 1990s have not yet been thoroughly learned, have not sunk in Only if the Federal Reserve badly misses the mark ? or if a substantial decline in the dollar is accompanied by revelations that Americafs financial institutions have extraordinarily large and unhedged euro, yen and sterling liabilities ? will the American economy face problems of the same magnitude that the Japanese economy faced ? and has so far failed to surmount ? as a result of the end of its bubble economy a decade ago.<<

I think some far different 'liabilities' are coming to light.

>>But even though an end to the period of
irrational stock market exuberance and a high currency value supported by large-scale capital inflows will not ? or need not ? disturb in a significant way the fundamentals of American production and employment, it will bring an end to the eagerness of politicians and executives in other countries to learn from America. Cultural patterns and socio-economic institutions are stubborn things that change only under substantial pressure.<<

Oh yes, the trade mercantalists and neoimperialists in the Clinton administration were stubborn, I agree.

>> And there is a sense in which it would be
unfortunate if American economic triumphalism came to an end too soon. For the lessons that the rest of the world economyfs industrial core should learn from Americafs relative economic success in the 1990s have not yet been thoroughly learned, have not sunk in.<<

I think we are starting to get that sinking feeling, though.

>>What are these lessons ? analogous to the
lessons about quality control, productive efficiency and manufacturing organisation learned from Japan more than a decade ago ? that the rest of the industrial core should learn? I see four.

First, that governments seeking full employment can ease their task by providing large subsidies to businesses that hire relatively unskilled, low-wage workers. The expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit ? a programme that directly boosts the wages of the working poor by having the government pay a substantial share ? in the US in the 1990s appears to have been a significant policy success. It has paid dividends not just in a lowered unemployment rate but a less unequal after-tax distribution of income.<<

Funny I don't remember this coming up in the discussion on employment on LBOT recently.

>>Second, that there is more room for
expansionary monetary policy to lower unemployment without raising inflation than anyone had believed.<<

Sure is, especially if you can use a cheap dollar and artificially high prices in steel and oil to prevent deflation from overproduction and cheap commodities.

>> Economists will squabble for decades over
whether the large reduction in Americafs natural rate of unemployment in the 1990s was the result of the end of inflationary psychology, the coming of age of the information technology sector, the growing experience of the labour force, or all three.<<

Sorry, I blinked and missed that little bit of history.

>> But it is clear that the pattern of
inflationary response to even minor monetary easing that has been feared by central banks since the 1970s is greatly weakened, or gone altogether.<<

I think the danger the masters of the economy are trying to avoid is not European style inflation but Japanese style deflation. I guess the US can still learn from the Japanese! Of course, maybe with the weak dollar you'll get stagflation lurching ever forward to meet the new economic dawn.

>>Third, that in large part because of changing
technology, there has been an important shift in the efficient location of new technological development. The extraordinary economic success of the venture-startup system of Silicon Valley is not just a side effect of a stock market bubble, but is the result of a technology-driven decline in the relative competence of very large firms at tasks of developing (but not marketing) new technologies and new products.<<

Venture startup? What's that?

>>Fourth, that it is possible to capture most of
the benefits of large-scale integration and also most of the benefits of fierce economic competition if businesses are forced ? either by the market or by regulatory authorities ? to make their products conform to standards so that other firmsf products work with theirs. If there is a lesson from the success of America's telecommunications industries over the past generation, it is that government regulation requiring firms to build products that other firmsf products could connect with was extraordinarily successful. <<

I like the way so many software developers were forced to develop software that would crash on every Windows OS computer I ever worked on.

Also, the US spent something like a decade attacking European and Japanese standards setting as 'exclusionary'. Why?

>>If there is a lesson from the success of
Americafs personal computer industry, it is that the marketfs forcing nearly all hardware and software manufacturers to make their products first IBM and then Microsoft-compatible ? so that nearly any programme would run on nearly any microcomputer ?<<

Make that 'nearly run' to disambiguate your prose.

>> created extraordinary value. And if there is a
lesson from the Internet boom, it is that the common http and html standard open-sourced by Tim Berners-Lee was overwhelmingly more powerful than the closed-source proprietary online system architectures of Compuserve, of Prodigy, of Minitel, or of the original AOL.<<

Yeah, and e-mail more powerful? Why? Plain text.

>>Will the rest of the world economy learn these
four lessons before the pendulum swings away, and people cease for a time to look at the US for models to imitate? I hope so.<<

I see now your piece was more about the US than Japan or US policy toward Japan. How disappointing. But couldn't you at least have said something about what having a currency that is forced to appreciate against the dollar 150% does to that currency's economy?

CJ