Determinism

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 08:15:56 PDT 2002

R said (in response to me)

>>it's interesting, Todd, that carrol needs you to point all this out to
>> >him.
>
>Everyone makes mistakes or blunders or faux pas. Carrol doesn't need >ME
>point stuff out to him.
>
>then why did you? i think you're being... tactful?

I try to be tactful, but what I was getting at was that anyone could have done what I did. I interjected because I felt the desire and acted on it rather than passing over in silence.

>also, R wants to point out that a considerate >member of
>>this message board asked him to expand on his >original "laconic"
>statement
>>about determinism, which willingly (or >willfully, to use your term) R
>did.
>
>Yes, you expanded on your statement, but I felt its character didn't
>change.
>
>should it have? at least it wasn't laconic, was it?

I would have liked it to have changed, and, yup, it wasn't laconic.

>why are you so polite? you can argue with me if you like. i don't
>know that i'd be very much worth arguing with, however. argue with
>carrol. he's much more opinionated than i am.

I try to be polite to everyone. Why not? Generally speaking, they're initially as deserving of respect, as I would like given to me, simply by virtue of sharing my life, however tangently.

It's not so much a matter of "worth" as it is my seeing something that turns my crank at the moment (and that I believe I can safely "handle"); I can't reply to everything that moves me one way or another.

<shrug> Oh, I might argue with Carrol at some point in the future. Who knows?

Todd