Welcome to the Telecom Dark Ages

Chris Beggy news at kippona.com
Mon Jul 1 12:25:07 PDT 2002

kelley <star.matrix at verizon.net> writes:

> [...]

<--snipped-->

> The fact of the matter is that existing approaches to 'broadband' are
> short-term only. Without a move towards real broadband, and by real I mean a
> network infrastructure providing at least 10Mbps of converged (voice,
> Internet, TV, audio, video, etc.) services, demand will remain fettered;
> deployed cable will remain unlit, and the telecommunications sector will
> continue to decline.

Gilder wrote a few months ago on the WSJ editorial page that the telecom crapout was due precisely to the ILEC's stifling of DSL. It's naive to think that 10Mbps pipes will do a better job than 1Mbps at whetting the appetite for bandwidth when ILECS are running interference.

Maybe the UK is different, though.

Chris