"Centralization" was Re: IMF fires back at Stiggy

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 13:39:14 PDT 2002

"What is probably true is that the staff of the IMF (and the World Bank) have over time become more confident about the ability to use markets to serve the public interest. What caused this shift? Quite simply, the evidence. Through the 1980s, central planning represented an important alternative to markets as a way of organizing economies. The collapse of the Soviet Union and the fall of the Berlin Wall suggested to many that markets, whatever their faults, were a more durable way of organizing a country's economy. This feeling was reinforced by the good economic performance of the United States and the United Kingdom, both of which had moved to more market-oriented systems during the 1980s."
>http://www.imf.org/external/np/speeches/2002/061302.htm

This will be an economics 101 question from me--but I hear this often repeated that it was the problem of "Central Planning" that caused 'The Collapse'. To what degree is it true? Was Soviet economics really one of guys sitting around 'planning' the economy, or is there more to it than that?

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 AIM: KDean75206 Buffalo Activist Network http://www.buffaloactivist.net http://www.yaysoft.com