Rogan's Higher Authority

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Tue Jul 2 23:46:45 PDT 2002

Rogan's Higher Authority

By Al Kamen Monday, June 17, 2002; Page A15

Former California congressman and Clinton impeachment manager James E. Rogan is showing unusual management skills as director of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, now facing a major RIF in the legal ranks.

Couple of weeks ago there was that stunning, Clintonesque I-feel-your-pain e-mail comparing the plight of 135 trademark examining lawyers to be laid off with his grief over losing his congressional seat.

"From the time I was 10 years old I wanted to be a congressman," he said. But then "only four years" after getting the job, the voters "summarily fired me." Still, he found good work in a big firm.

Many of the government lawyers were upset with Rogan's equating an election loss and high-paying partnership with their situation.

Now it seems Rogan, who is deeply religious, has been upsetting people with his regular references to God. One patent examiner, in an e-mail mostly devoted to patent-related issues, noted in closing: "Lastly, myself (and others I have spoken with) are offended with your references to God. While I am sure you mean to refer to God in a positive manner," the patent examiner said, "this is not a church, it's the government, and it's offensive."

Rogan again found the sophisticated logic to elegantly rebut that attack. "As to your taking offense at anyone using the word God, maybe we should pay you with beads," Rogan replied. "I hate to offend you with money that proclaims our national motto, 'In God We Trust.' You certainly do not want to be governed under federal law, since bills passed in Congress are done in a chamber that proclaims the same motto, and are interpreted by a Supreme Court that has the Ten Commandments etched into the walls of their hearing room."

"All that aside," Rogan said, "the last time I looked, free speech is still available in this country, although political correctness seeks to undo it. I pray for all of our employees, even the ones who are offended by the idea that I hope God will protect them and their families.

"If these concepts are too foreign for you to understand or appreciate, perhaps this will help," he told the examiner: "You need to chill out."

There you have it.