Epictetus

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 12:36:26 PDT 2002

Joanna Bujes wrote:

>But this brings to mind this quotation from Epictetus that I have
>mislaid: it's something about that if the good is real you will not
>want to be prefect or consul....but to be free. It's really quite
>beautiful. Any classicists out there who could help me find it?

Encheiridion, 19:

Loeb trans:

"... For if the true nature of the good is one of the things that are under our control, there is no place for either envy or jealousy; and you yourself will not wish to be a praetor or a senator or a consul but a free man..."

Chris --

Phone: +44 (0) 1865-286793 Email: <chris.brooke at magd.ox.ac.uk> Web: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1368