cops and beatings

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jul 3 15:13:10 PDT 2002

At 03:02 PM 7/3/2002 -0500, jerry wrote:

>afaict, wojtek doesn't think it's worth the time to protest because the
>people who get such treatment deserve it, perhaps even by definition
>(i.e., they get it BECAUSE they deserve it, whether it's the cops' right
>to determine that or not).
>
>gotta love it. law and order leftism? beats me. <rim shot>

In the course of my life I came to contact with various forms of violence, for the most part committed by men against women (the so-called domestic violence). Most of these we ongoing affairs - the men did it because they got what they wanted, and most importantly they could get away with it. In a few cases, however, the perpetrators got a "raw treatment" by the police who responded to domestic violence calls. And you know what - it stopped the abuse.

Perhaps the cops did not have the right to beat these men. But it worked. And brought on the perpetrators the same treatment they were giving to others. A poetic justice of a sort, Kafka's _Penal Colony_ or Kantian categorical imperative revisited - if you will.

That's it for now. I am going for vacation and be back after July 19. Best regards to everyone.

wojtek