marriage: an investigation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 3 15:34:36 PDT 2002

"Arranged or Love Marriage? That is the Question"

BY: AMITRAJEET A. BATABYAL

Rochester Institute of Technology

Dept. of Economics

HAMID BELADI

University of Dayton

Department of Economics and Finance

Document: Available from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection:

http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=312152

Contact: AMITRAJEET A. BATABYAL

Email: Mailto:aabgsh at rit.edu

Postal: Rochester Institute of Technology

Dept. of Economics

92 Lomb Memorial Drive

Rochester, NY 14623-5604 UNITED STATES

Phone: 585-475-2805

Fax: 585-475-5777; 585-475-7120

Co-Auth: HAMID BELADI

Email: Mailto:beladi at udayton.edu

Postal: University of Dayton

Department of Economics and Finance

School of Business Administration

300 College Park

Dayton, OH 45469-2241 UNITED STATES

ABSTRACT:

Although arranged and love marriages have been around for a long

time, to the best of our knowledge, there are no comparative

analyses in the economics literature of the relative merits of

one or the other kind of marriage. As such, the purpose of this

note is to conduct a theoretical inquiry into the desirability

of arranged versus love marriages. We analyze a simple model of

decision making in a dynamic and stochastic setting and show

that the decision to have an arranged or a love marriage depends

on a comparison of the expected amount of time it takes the

agent's well-wishers to find a spouse with the expected total

time it takes this agent to find a spouse by himself or herself.

Rule, Dynamics, Uncertainty