cops and beatings/domestic violence

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Wed Jul 3 17:50:34 PDT 2002

> In the course of my life I came to contact with various forms of violence,
> for the most part committed by men against women (the so-called domestic
> violence). Most of these we ongoing affairs - the men did it because they
> got what they wanted, and most importantly they could get away with it.
>
> wojtek

Since the subject of domestic violence has been brought into the picture does anyone know of reliable data concerning gender and victimization? I seem to remember reading something about the National Institute of Health and a U.S. Justice Department study showing that women victimize men at least as often as men victimize women and that ER admittance for injuries due to domestic violence was higher for men than women. (Although men kill their partners with greater frequency than women) Am I misremembering? I seem to remember one of these studies also showing no evidence that women's violence was not significantly attributable to 'self-defence'. Anyone know? John Thornton