HIV in Africa question

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Jul 3 22:38:33 PDT 2002

Are you refering to HIV rates in Africa or to Africans in Russia getting beaten up? I meant the latter.

How are HIV rates in Africa determined? I find it hard to imagine that there is mass HIV testing in Zambia. I also find it hard to imagine just off the top of my head that you could have 40% of a population infected with HIV just through genital sex -- though, when I worked for an HIV-research firm in the States, I did learn that some peculiarities of sexual practices in Sub-Saharan Africa may help account for this, e.g. the practice of women drying out their vaginas before intercourse, making it easier for tissues to get torn. Catching HIV through regular genital sex is not easy, especially if you are male. It has something like a 2% transmission rate, even without a condom.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ------------------ Believe them or believe WHO. jks