rent

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 4 13:52:31 PDT 2002

Not to soft-pedal MSFT's greed, but I believe the standard operating margin for newspapers even with the current ad slump is 20% -- and more like 30% in smaller monopoly markets -- while the rate of return for broadcasting companies is 40-plus percent. Check out Gannett, Lee Enterprises, even bellyaching Knight Ridder. Publishers get fired for turning in 20% profit.

-- Jim Cullen

-- ------------------------------- James M. Cullen PO Box 150517, Austin, TX 78715 Email jcullen at austin.rr.com -------------------------------