Centralization

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Jul 5 02:03:58 PDT 2002

Justin:

In addition, the very fact of its relative
>egalitarianism gives it bonus points in Russian culture (my impression
>after
>two years of living here is that Russians, on average, simply do not care
>as
>much about acquiring material goods as most Westerners.

No doubt in part because one cares less about what one can't reasonably hope

to attain. ------------------- The people I know are mostly middle-class Muscovites. Their standard of living isn't far behind yours. Unless you're a pensioner who's had their savings wiped out in the 90s, life in Moscow isn't much different in terms of quality from Paris or London. Average income in Moscow is about $400 a month -- which is like $1,500 a month in Washington, DC, plus you don't usually pay rent. Average income for a family of three is, if you believe the City Government, $1,000 a month. Moscow is by no measure a poor city. You were here in -93, right? It's a completely different city.

These people still think consumerism is icky. Russia just does not have and has never had a Protestant work ethic or the idea that accumulating lots of stuff is good for you.

I'm going to have to unsubscibe later today for a week 'cause I'm going to Estonia.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal