Russia and booze

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Jul 5 03:36:18 PDT 2002

By the way, one reason Putin is liked is that he doesn't drink. The rock group Spleen mentions this is a song: "My president neither drinks nor smokes; maybe it would be better fi he drank." Gorbachev drinks sufficiently rarely that he got a big laugh before his birthday last year when he said, "To celebrate, I'm going to get drunk!"

The punk-ska group Leningrad, which sings "hooligan songs" -- see earlier post on what "hooligan" means in Russian -- has a song called "Dikii muzhchina" (Wild Man), that goes, "I love beer, I love Vodka, I'm an an Alcoholic and Fucked in the Head!" (Liberal translation by me).

Chris Doss The Russia Journal