High Stakes

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 5 16:06:32 PDT 2002

kelley wrote:

> Of course, this is mere anecdotage, in the same way that carrol views
> similar research on why downsized professionals ultimately reject their
> identity as middle class, but it may be worth a read for others who don't
> think so:

I never said that, nor do I believe it. The illusion of a middle class is held not only by professional sociologist like you but also by the people so classified. "Professionals" (downsized or otherwise) are unconscious enough to really believe (a) that a middle class exists and (b) that they belong to it.

Carrol