"Punishment"? Re: Centralization

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 6 13:11:57 PDT 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>In the run-up to utopia,
>>incentives and disincentives are just fine with me.
>
>Meaning?

You know, material rewards or penalties. Bonuses or demotions. Not the point of eviction to the sidewalk, as under capitalism.

>>How badly do senior execs suffer the consequences of bad decisions
>>under American capitalism, anyway? It's mostly the workers who take
>>the hits.
>.
>Well, their firms lose money and sometimes go out of business. They
>do tend to make sure they don't take hard falls. To them that has,
>shall be given. But, Doug, I would have hoped that you at least
>would not take me to be a defender of corporate capitalism, whatever
>my job may be as legal representative of corporate capitalists.

I'm not taking you for a defender of capialism, corporate or not. I was pointing to the discrepancy between the textbook capitalism you often cite and actually existing capitalism, which you don't in these market threads.

Doug